Child Death Investigations: A-Z and Everything In Between-Pensacola, FL
Instructor: Lisa Mayhew
Hotel Reservations: Hilton Pensacola Beach Room Rates Start at $109/nt- Group ID: CPS
Investment: $325 with Printed Manual or $300 with Digital Manual
This course offers a comprehensive view into the deaths of children that law enforcement encounters both as patrol officers and investigators. The first day of the course address mechanisms and manners of death. The perspective of the material is that of the pathologist, and how they come to the final determinations of cause and death based on an overall investigation into a death. The role of law enforcement is critical in that determination. Participants will learn how crucial the local investigation into circumstances and confirmation of particular details, in conjunction with the autopsy, is to that final determination. The second day covers many of the logistical aspects of death investigation to include court issues, scene considerations, case studies, and working with outside agencies. We welcome detectives, patrol, prosecutors, medical examiners/coroners, child protection workers, and other related professionals to attend. There is a strong emphasis on interagency collaboration in this course so any disciplines directly involved in these types of cases are welcome.
- Accidental deaths – why asphyxiation is so difficult to rule, and investigative considerations in children
- The Alphabet Soup of Infant Death Investigations
- Youth Suicides on the rise – important considerations
- Homicides – all abusive mechanisms and implications of each
- Prosecutorial issues
- Scene considerations – why child death scenes may be different
- Getting Along in the Sandbox – dealing with other agencies
- Case Studies – as many as time will allow.