NFPA 302: FIRE PROTECTION STANDARD FOR PLEASURE AND COMMERCIAL MOTOR CRAFT
Reduce the risk of loss of life and property due to fires, explosions, and CO with the new NFPA 302 Standard.
Follow current fire safety and life safety requirements for boats (less than 300 gross tons) that are used for pleasure and commercial purposes. Owners, manufacturers and marine surveyors will find the 2015 NFPA 302: Fire Protection Standard for Pleasure and Commercial Motor Craft indispensable for properly protecting boats from fires and related hazards. Standard specifies requirements for fuel systems and fire protection equipment, lightning protection, and installing electrical systems (ac and dc).
NFPA 302 covers it all, from explosion prevention to CO mitigation.
- Elimination of ignition sources
- Ventilation of accommodation spaces, fuel tank compartments (if separate from machinery spaces) and machinery spaces
- Use of combustible materials
- Fire-extinguishing equipment and fire exits
- Control of fire-extinguishing agents in machinery spaces
- Mitigation of carbon monoxide hazards from all sources
Changes for the 2015 edition reflect new safety knowledge.
- Requirements for exhaust blowers in compartments with permanently installed internal combustion engine with a cranking motor; and circuit and over-current protection for electric blowers
- Requirements to reduce the production of CO from gasoline-fueled engines
- Provisions for receptacles in locations normally not subject to rain, spray, or flooding
- Requirements for the installation of fixed fire-extinguishing systems
- Provisions for shore power cable connections and main shore power disconnect circuit breakers
- Updated extracts from NFPA® standards including the 2013 edition of NFPA 10,2011 NFPA 12, 2009 NFPA 12A, and the 2012 NFPA 2001.
Keep people and facilities safe during boat construction, conversion, and repair.
Update now for the latest safeguards. Annexes provide in-depth information about portable fire extinguishers and fixed systems, fire warning systems, and more. (Softbound, Approx. 69 pp., 2015)